Monday, August 27, 2012

The Good Life.

HI Hi all-

This is Amy, guest posting for Morgan again. My summer was spent exploring a little island, Mauritius, which lies east of Madagascar in the Indian Ocean. Not many Americans have heard of it because of it's remote location but it is a jam packed island filled with over a million people and some of the most beautiful scenery you could imagine. I helped in two schools and an orphanage during my internship there. The two schools were for children with disabilities which was a challenge on it's own. On top of that, all the children mainly only spoke their native French Creole so communication was difficult. I also had two weeks at the end of my stay for holiday. This was the best part, especially since I became close friends with locals there who were more than happy to show me their stomping grounds. It was a life changing experience that I will never forget. Here are some pictures so you can experience a piece of Ile Maurice yourself :)



[ Local pals at Big Willy's Bar ]

 [ Ile Aux Cerfs ]

 [ Climbing mountain Le Pouce ]

[ Bluest water I've ever seen]

[ Boats at Port Louis, the capital city ]

[ Juicing sugarcane for drinks ] 

[ City views ] 

[ Indian influence everywhere ]

[ Mountain peak scenery ]

[ Rooftop balcony at my house ]

[ Market vendors ]

[ The street I lived on in Palma ]

[ Dancing the traditional sega dance ]

[ Little guy waiting for some food ] 

[ Traditional homemade Mauritian faratas ]

[Bungalow backyard ]

[ Sunset at Flic en Flac beach ]

[ Meet Ginger the lion ]

[ Jumping off Rochester Falls ]

[ Hiking path ]

[ Indian vegetarian food ]

[ A couple of my students; loooved my iphone ]

[ Representing America ]

[ Local woman walking down my street ]

[ Catamaran trip for everyone! ]

[ Perfect ]

[ Snuck into a few hotels :) ]






1 comment: